The statistics reveals that in Kerala, around 75,000 children below 18 years are living in orphanages. Around 1500 orphanages are functioning in Kerala. Almost 80- 90% of the children in orphanages have families and relatives.Many orphans and vulnerable children slip further into poverty once the family’s main bread winner stops working or dies. There is nothing more traumatic for a child than to see a parent die. Added to this tragedy is the loss of adult guidance and protection. Children without proper adult care are more likely to be abused & exploited.
Children in this category include orphans, abandoned children, children who have lost their parents in war, communal riots, natural disaster, and accidents etc..They are not properly fed; they have no shelter, nutritious food, health care, education or any recreation.. Most of them are facing economic and social exploitation. They are deprived of love and affection of the family and are often unwanted by the family members.
Children are the greatest assets of our nation. Investing in them is investing for a better future for our country & for our world. Considering all the reality of the present situations faced by some children (orphans) in our society, Kerala Government has launched a noble initiative “SNEHAPOORVAM” as per the G.O (MS) No.36/2012/SWD dated 06/06/12 to provide financial support to orphans who are living in the family, with their relatives, friends, or the support of the community under the Social welfare Department implemented through Social Security Mission. The mission has initiated the project that aims at bringing these children to the main stream of the society.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHEME
- To identify the orphaned children in the community
- To assess and priorities children in the greatest need
- To provide social protection to highly vulnerable groups of orphans by strengthening traditional family and community systems for protecting and absorbing orphans
- To improve the basic education, social integration and nutrition of the most vulnerable groups of orphans towards the levels of other children in the community
- To encourage the families to live their children within the family set up rather than sending them to orphanages
- To extend a helping hand to these orphans families by way of providing financial assistance to the education of children.
AMOUNT OF ASSISTANCE
- Children below 5 years and class I to V @ Rs.300/pm
- For class VI to class X @ Rs 500/pm
- For class XI and class XII @ Rs 750/pm
During this year the Government has issued orders to extend the scheme to the beneficiaries who are studying for Degree/professional courses. The rate of assistance per month is Rs. 1000/-.