Sruthitharangam (Cochlear Implantation Scheme) envisioned to provide free cochlear implantation
surgery for the children in the age group of 0-5 years, who are hearing impaired. The early identification and intervention procedures initiated within six months of age should be the golden standard for the holistic development of a child with hearing loss. Cochlear Implant is a proven option for the treatment of profound hearing loss. The children from poor families whose annual family income is below Rs. 2 lakh is eligible to get the benefit of this scheme. This scheme is implemented through Government as well as selected empaneled private hospitals in this field.
The objective of this project is to provide cochlear implant to children selected by Regional and State level technical committees for cochlear implantation and to provide financial support for auditory verbal habilitation (AVH) to operated children through empaneled hospital/ centers.
MODE OF ASSISTANCE
Government assistance fixed from time to time will be limited to supply of cochlear implant to the children selected by technical committees and to give financial assistance for auditory verbal habilitation of implanted children, through empaneled hospitals. The scheme will not meet expenses for preoperative assessment, preoperative investigation, and treatment charges including operations, drugs, investigation etc. Repair and replacement charges of implants and accessories after warranty period will be met by parents. Cost of consumable which are not covered by warranty also will have to be met by parents. Parents should handle the external speech process with due care, otherwise it will be damaged. Damage due to the physical or accident causes are not covered under warranty and any repair and replacement charges due to physical and / or mechanical damage will have to be met by parents.
1. The child should be in the age group of 0-3 years. However, the Screening Committee would be empowered to make exceptions beyond 3 years and up to 5 years of age on a case to case basis; where the committee feels that a high possibility of success exists or if there are other compelling technical reasons warranting or making an exception.
2. The annual family income of the applicant should be below Rs. 2 Lakhs.
3. Parents of the child should be prepared to undergo a mandatory training on speech therapy.
4. The child should be certified by a competent authority (under the scheme) regarding need for cochlear implantation surgery. There should not be any medical contradictions to surgery or implantation.
5. Parents or Guardian of the child should give an under taking, in 100 rupees stamp paper, in the prescribed format.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLYING SRUTHITHARANGAM SCHEME
1. Permanent resident certificate, e.g. certificate from residency authority.
2. Identity proof (Adhar Card, Election card).
3. Income certificate showcasing an income below Rs. 2 lakh per year.
4. Details of employment of guardian.
5. Birth Certificate of the child.
HOSPITALS COVERED UNDER THE SCHEME
• Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram.
• Kerala Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
• Government Medical College, Kozhikode.
• Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences (MIMS) Hospital, Kozhikode.
• Dr. Manoj ENT Super Specialty Institute & Research Centre, Kozhikode.
• Dr. Naushad ENT Hospital & Research Centre, Ernakulam.
• Medical Trust Hospital, Ernakulam.
• Westfort Hospital, Thrissur.
• ASCENT ENT Hospital, Perinthalmanna.
• Government Medical College, Kottayam.
ADDRESS FOR COMMUNICATION
Kerala Social Security Mission,
Poojappura,Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695012
Phone No – 0471 2341200
HOW TO APPLY
Application form duly filled and necessary documents to be submitted directly to Executive Director, Kerala Social Security Mission.